- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- 2 lb 1 kg small pearl onions Onion
- 1/2 oz 15 gr Unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 fl oz 250 ml Beef stock
- 1 stalk 1 stalk Celery
- 2-3 leaves 2-3 leaves (bay leaf) Laurel
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 pinch 1 pinch white sugar
Braised onions are a typical side dish from Piemonte, that traditionally goes well together with roast beef and other stews.
Wash and clean the onions, slipping off the outer skins.
In a large non stick pan melt the butter, add the extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, bay leaves the celery stalk and the onions. Let the onions sauté for 3-4 minutes at low heat.
Add the beef stock. Cover with a lid and let cook al low-medium heat for 20 minutes, turning the onions upside-down from time to time. After 20 minutes Uncover, boil off excess stock.
Remove the celery stalk, add a pitch of sugar and serve hot or warm.
You can turn this recipe into a vegan dish, simply replacing the beef stock with vegetable stock.