- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- 12 oz 380 gr White flour
- 7 oz 200 gr white sugar
- 7 oz 200 gr fresh, deseeded, cut in halves Cherries
- 3,5 oz 100 gr melted unsalted butter
- 3 eggs 3 eggs Eggs
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon (optional) maraschino liqueur
- 2 teaspoons 2 teaspoons Vanilla Estract
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- to line tin Butter
- to decorate Confectioners’ Sugar
Break the eggs into a large bowl and tip in the sugar. With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs and sugar for at least 8 minutes until they look pale and creamy: it will have dubled in volume.
Add the melted butter, vanilla and salt. Sprinkle the flower and the baking soda over the egg mixture, stirring with a spatula until you get rid of any lumps. At the end add the lemon zest and the maraschino liqueur.
Pour the mixture into a lined or greased ovenproof tin. Lay the cherries on top. Preheat oven to 180°C/350F/ Gas 6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a cake taster inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool and sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar.
This recipe has been selected to contribute to the Expo 2015 World Recipes the global and crowdsourced cookbook gathering the best traditional recipes from all over the world.